The following requests should be made to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) under the Access to Information Act (ATI):
- Requests that pertain to information about CIC;
- Requests for information that would have been created by CIC;
- Requests for personal information submitted by a representative where the client (with his/her authorization/consent) is not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or present in Canada.
What you will need to submit a request
- Formal request:
Using the ATIP Online Request service is a convenient way to get requests submitted more quickly and easily, while simplifying the application process. Apply online today to save time and postage.
- It must be signed and dated, and indicate which records you would like to receive.
- Written requests may be submitted via:
- CIC’s Access to Information and Personal Information Request Form (IMM 5563);
- Treasury Board Secretariat’s Access to Information Request Form (TBC/CTC 350-57); or
- A letter indicating that the request is made in accordance with the Access to Information Act.
- Proof that you have the right to make a request:
- To be eligible, you must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada or an individual or corporation currently present in Canada.
- Consent(s), if applicable:
- If you are making a request on behalf of someone else, you must include consent to release their information.
- Please use the following consent form when submitting an ATIP request: Consent for an Access to Information and Personal Information Request – IMM 5744.
- It is recommended that you include consent for each individual listed in your file over the age of 18.
- Application fee:
- There is a $5.00 application fee for requests made under the Access to Information Act.
- Payment can be made by:
- Credit card (Visa, MasterCard or American Express) using the ATIP Online Request’s payment service; or
- Cheque or money order made payable to the Receiver General for Canada when applying by mail.
Where to send requests
Requests made pursuant to the Access to Information Act can be sent electronically if using the ATIP Online Request tool.
To submit a written request:
- Download your request form and carefully read the instructions
- Complete, sign and date your request form
- Pay the fees
- Mail your fully completed request form with the supporting documents to the following address:
Access to Information and Privacy Division
Citizenship and Immigration Canada