Refugees & asylum
Apply for refugee status from within Canada, find out how to come to Canada as a refugee, sponsor a refugee or find refugee services in Canada.
Includes eligibility requirements, resettlement programs, processing times, what to do after you apply and what to expect when you get to Canada.
Includes sponsorship agreement holders, the Blended Visa Office-Referred Program, groups of five, community sponsors and the Joint Assistance Sponsorship Program.
Includes applications for those who fear persecution or who would be in danger if they had to return to their home country.
Includes health care, help to adjust to Canada, financial assistance and refugee rights.
Includes the refugee appeal process for refugees inside Canada and the role of the Refugee Appeal Division.
What we are doing
- Apply to sponsor a refugee
- Request a refugee profile
- Apply as a protected person abroad
- Apply to sponsor a refugee under the Joint Assistance Sponsorship Program
- Government-assisted refugees (PDF, 2.58 MB)
- Privately sponsored refugees (PDF, 2.57 MB)
- Guide to the Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program
- Refugees under the Blended Visa Office-Referred Program (PDF, 2.59 MB)
Policies, acts and regulations
- Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Refugee Protection Division Rules
- Refugee Appeal Division Rules
- Interim Federal Health Program Policy
Learn about Canada's role concerning refugees
Canada is recognized around the world for its leadership in offering a safe haven to people who need refugee protection. Find out what Canada is doing to help refugees.
Stories from former refugees
Watch inspirational stories from former refugees about coming to Canada.
Canada: A History of Refuge
Visit our online refugee exposition to learn more about refugees in Canada.
- Date Modified: