Find out if you need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa

New entry requirement now in effect: visa-exempt foreign nationals need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens, and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA.

Note: The leniency period that allows travellers to board their flight without an eTA ends November 9. Find answers to questions about applying for an eTA during this period.

Be prepared: Apply for an eTA before you book your flight to Canada. Most applicants get approved within minutes.  However, some applications can take several days to process so don’t wait until the last minute.

Find out if you need an eTA or a visitor visa

Make your selection based on the passport that you plan to travel with to Canada.

Carry proper travel documents and identification

You must also make sure that you:

To find out what else you may need to know before you come to Canada, see Arriving in Canada.

View all countries and territories

Dual Canadian citizens: Fly to Canada with a valid CDN passport

Starting November 10, 2016, you will need a valid Canadian passport to board a flight to Canada.

Visit your children or grandchildren

Date Modified: