Follow these steps to apply for a work permit.
1. Determine if you will apply online or on paper
You must have:
- access to a scanner or camera to make electronic copies of your documents to upload, and
- a valid credit card to pay with.
Note: If you provide an email address on your application, please check your email account often for automated emails from CIC regarding your case. Some spam filters block these emails. Make sure that emails from CIC are not blocked. If you are not sure whether emails from CIC are being sent, please check your myCIC account often.
Apply on paper
Follow steps 2 to 5 below.
Note for IEC applicants: If you are an applicant under the International Experience Canada program, you can only submit your work permit application online. Paper applications will not be accepted.
2. Get the documents from your employer
Before you apply for a work permit, you will need:
- the positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) your employer received from Employment and Social Development Canada if you do need an LMIA, and
- your job offer,
- the ID number your employer received when they submitted the offer of employment through the Employer Portal if you do not need an LMIA and you are not applying for an open work permit
Note: As of November 21, 2015, CIC no longer accepts the IMM5802 Offer of Employment to a Foreign National Exempt from the Labour Market Impact Assessment form. If your employer has given you a completed copy of this form, you must ask your employer to resubmit the offer of employment online through the Employer Portal.
You will also need:
- proof that you meet the requirements of the job, such as:
- proof of education, or
- work experience.
3. Get the application package
The instruction guide has instructions on how to fill out the application. It also tells you which documents you will need to submit to get your work permit.
There are different ways to apply for a work permit, depending on where you apply from:
- inside Canada
- outside Canada, or
- as you enter Canada.
Find out the requirements for where to apply in order to choose the best option for you.
Passport and entry into Canada
To work in Canada, you must meet the requirements for a work permit. You may also need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa, depending on your nationality. The eTA or visa will be issued at the same time as your work permit. You do not need to make a separate application or pay an additional fee.
4. Pay the application fees
In many countries, you can pay the fee in the local currency. More information about this and the payment methods available to you can be found by visiting the pay your fees tool.
Please note that if you apply on paper at a VAC, you will have to pay the VAC services fees. These fees are not included in your CIC application fees.
5. Submit your application
Note: Families should send their applications in one package to the location where the principal applicant will be processed (based on their type of application).
How-to videoA Step-by-step look at biometrics
Where to send your applicationFind out where you should send your application
- Date Modified: