New rules for prospective international students are now in effect. Read about these changes.
Starting June 16, 2014, applicants and study permit holders must indicate the Designated Learning Institution (DLI) number on the updated application forms. Previous versions of the study permit application will still be accepted, but only until July 15, 2014.
This application package includes:
- Document checklist [IMM 5483] (PDF, 157 KB) May 2014
- Application for a Study Permit Made Outside of Canada [IMM 1294] (PDF, 338 KB) June 2014
- Family Information [IMM 5645] (PDF, 67 KB) September 2010
- Schedule 1 – Application for Temporary Resident Visa [IMM 5257 – Schedule 1] (PDF, 370 KB) February 2015
- Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union [IMM 5409] (PDF, 47 KB) April 2009
- Custodian Declaration [IMM 5646] (PDF, 157 KB) January 2015
- Visa application photograph specifications
- Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] (PDF, 597 KB) March 2014
- Instruction Guide [IMM 5269]
Use this application if you:
- are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada, and
- want to study temporarily in Canada.
We will issue a study permit if we accept the application.
You may also need a temporary resident visa. Check the list of countries and territories whose citizens need a visa.
Everyone must fill out and sign their own form, including those travelling as a family. If you are under the age of 18, your parent or guardian must sign your form.
Many visa offices have specific instructions about which documents you must send with your application. Check the list of Canadian visa offices to find the office that serves your country. It will tell you the procedures you must follow.
You must include the fee with your application. To find out how to pay, check the website of the Canadian visa office that serves your country.
Find out if you need to give your biometrics.
- Filling out the form on a computer is easier than filling it out by hand. It reduces the risk of mistakes that can slow down the application process.
- Trouble downloading? Right-click the link and select “Save Target As…”
To make sure you submit all the pages of the form with your application package, follow these steps.
- Click the "Validate" button at the top or bottom of the form.
Note: Validating the form before printing makes sure that you have answered all the questions. This will help you to avoid delays in processing your application.
- A last page with barcodes and a signature line will automatically be created.
- Print, sign and date the form.
- For best results:
- print on white, bond-quality, non-glossy paper and
- use a laser printer.
- Place the barcode page on top of your package. If you have more than one package, place a separate barcode page on each one.
How-to videoSave Time: Send a Complete Application
- Date Modified: