Find out if you need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa

Starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

Exceptions include U.S. citizens and foreign nationals with a valid visa.

Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, are not eligible to apply for an eTA and are strongly encouraged to travel with a valid Canadian passport.

All travellers must present acceptable travel documents and identification must be presented at the border.

Find out if you need an eTA or a visitor visa

Make your selection based on the passport that you plan to travel with to Canada.

Carry proper travel documents and identification

You must also make sure that you:

To find out what else you may need to know before you come to Canada, see Arriving in Canada.

View all countries and territories

Visit your children or grandchildren

Date Modified: