See if you need a Labour Market Impact Assessment

In many cases, an employer must get a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to hire a foreign worker.

An LMIA is a document from the Government of Canada that permits your employer to hire a temporary foreign worker through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.

Employers hiring foreign workers through the International Mobility Program do not need an LMIA. These people need a work permit but do not need an LMIA:

  • Workers covered under international agreements
    This group can include:
    • professionals,
    • traders,
    • investors.
  • People taking part in exchange programs
    These programs can include:
    • youth exchange programs,
    • teacher exchange programs and
    • other joint programs.
  • Spouses
    This group can include:
    • spouses and common-law partners of certain foreign students who are studying full time (the spouse must not be enrolled in full-time studies) and
    • spouses and common-law partners of certain skilled foreign workers.
      See Your Spouse Working in Canada.
  • Workers, their spouses/common-law partners or their dependants who are eligible for a work permit through a pilot project
    Pilot projects are agreements between the Government of Canada and provincial/territorial governments. Find out if you are eligible to come to Canada through a pilot project.
  • Workers nominated by a province for permanent residence
    The person must have a job offer from an employer based in that province.
  • Entrepreneurs and workers transferred within a company
    This includes workers who will greatly benefit Canadians or permanent residents by working in Canada.
  • Academics
    This includes researchers, guest lecturers, visiting professors and others.
  • Co-op students
    These are international students studying in Canada and doing co-op work placements or internships as part of their study program.
  • Religious workers
    These are people doing charitable or religious work.
  • Others
    These are other people who need to support themselves while they are in Canada, such as those waiting on a refugee claim.
Date Modified: