Hire foreign workers

Employers Fact Sheets

If you are an employer, there are several programs you can use to:

  • hire a foreign worker temporarily,
  • offer a full-time job to support a skilled worker’s immigration to Canada, or
  • offer a paid internship to a newcomer.

Foreign workers can find out whether they are eligible for these programs using the Come to Canada Wizard.

Temporary workers

Through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, you can hire foreign workers to fill short-term labour and skill shortages. You can hire workers abroad or already in Canada.

Live-in caregivers

Find out how to hire a live-in caregiver.

International students

You can hire students while they study through the Off-Campus Work Permit Program or after they graduate through the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program.

Permanent workers

You can hire workers who will stay in Canada permanently. Find out how to hire permanent workers.


You can fill skilled labour shortages by hiring newcomers as interns through the Federal Internship for Newcomers Program.

Francophone workers

Consider hiring a Francophone worker for a job outside Quebec. You can get hands-on support to find the candidate you need to fill a vacant position.

Employers' Roadmap

This roadmap is a guide for employers in small to medium-sized enterprises interested in hiring foreign workers.
Date Modified: