Apply – Visit Canada as a tourist

New entry requirement now in effect

Visa-exempt foreign nationals need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada by air. Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA.

To travel to Canada most visitors need:

Find out which one you need before you complete an application form.

Apply for an eTA

Before you apply, find out if you need an eTA.

Applying for an eTA is a simple online process that takes just a few minutes. Get answers to your questions about the eTA application process.

To apply you must have a valid passport or accepted travel document, credit card, and email address.

The Government of Canada will perform updates to its online system from 3:30 a.m. to 5:30 a.m. ET on March 14, 2017. The eTA application form will not be available at that time. We apologize for the inconvenience. To apply for an eTA, please return after 5:30 a.m. ET on March 14.

Confirm your eligibility and apply for an eTA

Apply for a visitor visa

Before you apply, find out if you need a visa.

You can apply online or on paper. If you need help, you can contact your nearest visa application centre (VAC).

If you need to give biometrics (fingerprints and photograph), and you are applying on paper, please do not mail in your application. Submit your application in person. VAC staff will check that your application is complete and will confirm that you have paid the correct fees before you can give your biometrics.

Apply online for a visitor visa

To apply online you must have access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents for uploading and have a valid credit card for payment.

Note: If you provide an email address on your application, please ensure you check it regularly for automated emails from CIC regarding your case. Some spam filters block these emails, and clients are requested to ensure emails from CIC are not blocked. If you are unsure whether emails from CIC are being sent, please check your myCIC account on a regular basis.

Determine your eligibility and apply online

Apply on paper for a visitor visa

If you have a valid study or work permit and are planning to leave and return to Canada, you can apply for a new visitor visa before you leave Canada.

1. Get the application package

Your package includes the application guide and all the forms you need to fill out. Download the application package

Read the guide before you fill out the forms. We will not refund your application fee, so make sure you are eligible for a temporary resident (visitor) visa before you apply.

Please note that each individual applicant must submit a completed temporary resident visa application form. Applicants under the age of 18 must have this form signed by a parent or a guardian.

2. Pay your application fees

In most countries, application fees must be paid in Canadian dollars. More information about this and the payment methods available to you can be found by visiting the pay your fees tool.

Please note that if you apply on paper at a VAC, you will have to pay the VAC services fees. These fees are not included in your CIC application fees.

3. Submit your application

Note: Families should send their applications in one package to the location where the principal applicant will be processed (based on their type of application).

4. Check processing time

How long it takes to process your application depends on where you applied. For more information, see application processing times.

Top questions about visiting Canada

Where to send your application

Find out where you should send your application
Date Modified: