New requirements for Canadian citizenship took effect June 11, 2015
Beginning on June 11, 2015, CIC will only accept the new application forms. Applications that were received on or after June 11, 2015 that do not use the latest version of the application will be considered incomplete and will be returned. Incomplete applications that were returned prior to June 11, 2015 must be resubmitted using the new application forms.
Find out more about the changes to the Citizenship Act and strengthening the rules around access to citizenship.
This section will guide you through the steps to become a Canadian citizen.
Determine your eligibility
See if you are eligible to become a Canadian citizen. You must qualify in these areas:
- permanent resident status,
- time you have lived in Canada,
- income tax filing,
- intent to reside,
- language ability,
- how well you know Canada, and
If you are unsure whether you are Canadian or not, see if you may already be a citizen.
Check processing times
After you apply: get next steps
Find out what to expect and what you should do after you apply.
- What are the requirements for becoming a Canadian citizen?
- I already have a citizenship application in process. How will the 2015 changes to the citizenship legislation affect my application?
- Do I become a Canadian when I marry a Canadian?
- How much does it cost to apply for Canadian citizenship?
- I am a citizen of another country. Will I lose that citizenship if I become a Canadian?
Discover CanadaStudy for your citizenship test and learn about the rights and responsibilities of citizenship
- Date Modified: