Acceptable language proof to apply for citizenship wizard

Adults between 18 and 54 must prove that they have adequate knowledge of English or French to apply for citizenship. To do this, you must send at least one of the documents we accept as proof with your citizenship application.

Answer these questions to see if you have proof we will accept.

We will try to verify the language proof you send us. We will not process your application and return the entire application to you if your proof is:

  • Not included with the application;
  • In a language other than English or French;
  • Cannot be read;
  • Cannot be verified; or
  • Is not on the list of what we will accept.

Step 1: Have you completed a secondary or post-secondary program, in French or in English, in Canada or abroad?

If yes, send a copy of your diploma, certificate or transcript that shows you completed the program.

Note: You must have successfully finished a secondary or post-secondary program in English or French. A single course done in English or French does not meet the requirement. The diploma, certificate or transcript should be in English or French. If it is not in English or French, you must also send a certified English or French translation of the document. It should clearly show that the program was completed with English or French as the language of instruction.

Include this document with your citizenship application.

If no, please continue to Step 2.

Date Modified: