Apply for proof of citizenship

Note: You will be able to have your sex marked as X (unspecified) on your documents. Until then, once you get your PR card or citizenship certificate, you can apply for a supporting document that says your sex should be X. Find out more.

If you're a Canadian citizen, use these steps to apply for a citizenship certificate.

For minors (under 18 years old), refer to our policy on parental consent. If you're applying for a minor, remember that the questions apply to the minor.

We no longer issue citizenship cards.

As of February 1, 2012, the citizenship certificate has replaced the plastic wallet-sized citizenship card as proof of citizenship. We no longer give out citizenship cards or the commemorative certificates that came with them.

If you apply to update or replace your citizenship card, we will send you the new certificate.

1. Get an application package

Download and print the application for a citizenship certificate (adults and minors). It includes

  • the instruction guide
  • all the forms you need to fill out

Use the instruction guide to help you fill out the forms correctly.

You must:

  • fill out all the forms
  • include all documents listed in the document checklist

Missing information or documents can delay your application.

The first time you apply

If this is the first time you're applying, you will need to send:

  • original documents or
  • clear and easy–to-read copies of all documents
    • copies must be certified, meaning a person approved by us must compare the original document to the copy and confirm that they are the same
    • you can find more information about this in part 1 of the application guide

If documents aren't in English or French, you will need:

  • the original documents, or clear and easy-to-read certified copies
  • a translation of the documents
  • a sworn statement from the person who did the translation

We can't accept translations by family members.

If you have applied before

If you have had a citizenship or naturalization certificate in the past, you must send:

  • all originals you had before
  • any pink transmission copies you still have
  • photocopies of all other needed documents

2. Pay the application fee

You must pay the application fee in Canadian funds. We won't refund the fee.

You may pay your fees:

  • online (preferred option)
  • at the Canadian office that serves your area, such as your:
    • embassy
    • consulate
    • high commission

The instruction guide has more detailed information on how to pay your fee.

3. Submit the application

Processing time

Find out how long it will take us to process your application.


Date Modified: