If you have not yet sent your application
- Download and print the application that applies to you depending on your situation:
- The Application to Renounce Canadian Citizenship is for an adult Canadian citizen who wants to give up citizenship.
- The Application to Renounce Canadian Citizenship – R7.1 should be used if you automatically got citizenship because of changes to the Citizenship Act in 2009 or 2015.
- Complete the application form. Answer all the questions.
- Put the required documents, photograph and fees in the same envelope as the application form. Note: There is no fee for renunciation under R7.1.
- Include an explanation of why you need urgent processing and include any documents that support your explanation.
- Write “Urgent – Renunciation of Canadian Citizenship” in dark letters on the envelope.
If you do not answer all the questions or do not include the required documents, photograph and fees (if applicable), we will not be able to process your application urgently and we will return it as incomplete.
If you do not know which form to use, see the Determine your eligibility page.
Send your application
If you live in Canada or the United States, find out where to:
- send your completed application form and the required documents if you are renouncing under subsection 9(1) of the Citizenship Act.
- send your completed application form and the required documents if you are renouncing under section 7.1 of the Citizenship Regulations.
If you live outside Canada or the United States, submit your application to a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate for processing.
If you have already sent your application and need urgent processing:
If you live in Canada, contact the Call Centre and speak to an agent. The agent will tell you if we can process your request to give up Canadian citizenship urgently. If we can, the agent will explain what you will need to do.
If you live in the United States, send a letter to the address in the instruction guide.
- Write “Urgent – Renunciation of Canadian Citizenship” in large, dark letters on the envelope.
- Include an explanation of why you need urgent processing. Make sure your explanation includes your full name, telephone numbers, and date of birth.
If you live outside Canada and outside the United States, contact the Canadian embassy, high commission, or consulate where you sent your application.
- Date Modified: