Apply – Renounce (give-up) citizenship

IRCC has resumed using Canada Post mail services

Effective July 11, 2016, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has resumed normal processing procedures for applications using Canada Post mail services. We have resumed sending documents by mail. All documents held during the special measures will now be sent.

We are monitoring the Canada Post situation and will provide new instructions as needed.

If you are a Canadian citizen, you may apply to give up (renounce) your citizenship.

1. Choose an application package

There are two application packages available to you. Choose one of the following depending on your situation:

Read the appropriate guide carefully before you complete the application form. The fee for processing your application is not refundable, so make sure you are eligible to renounce your Canadian citizenship before you apply.

The application kit contains instructions. Read those instructions, and be sure to provide the required documents. If information or documents are missing, your application may be delayed.

If your documents are not in English or French, you must provide the original documents (not a photocopy), or provide clear and legible certified copies, a translation of them and an affidavit from the translator. Translations by family members are not acceptable.

2. Pay your application fees

The fee is $100.

Note: There is no fee for people who automatically got citizenship because of changes to the Citizenship Act in April 2009 or June 2015 and are applying under section 7.1 of the Citizenship Regulations.

The application processing fee is payable in Canadian funds only.

Payment of fees online is the preferred method of payment.

To pay your fees online, you must:

  • have a PDF Reader;
  • have a printer;
  • have a valid email address;
  • pay with a Visa®, MasterCard® or American Express® credit card;
  • print the “receipt of payment” page and include it with your application; and
  • pay your fees online when you are ready.

To pay your fees at the Canadian consular mission (embassy, high commission or consulate) responsible for your area, you must do the following:

  • Find out which method of payment is required. The consular mission determines the payment method (cheque, money order or cash).

For more detailed instructions, read the application kit.

3. Submit your application

If you live in Canada or the United States and are applying to:

If you live outside Canada and outside the United States, submit your completed application form and the required documents to the Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate responsible for your area.

Processing times

Find out how long it will take us to process your application.

Date Modified: