The Government of Canada is committed to privacy and the protection of personal information used in the course of providing programs and services to the public.
The Directive on Privacy Impact Assessment is one of several tools designed to meet this commitment. This directive was implemented to assure Canadians that privacy principles are being taken into account both when there are proposals for, and during the design, implementation and evolution of programs and services that raise privacy issues.
A Privacy Impact Assessment (PIA) is a project-based assessment which assists government departments and agencies in evaluating the effects of program and service delivery on individual privacy to ensure the protection of personal information.
The PIA Directive makes it mandatory to document, publish and maintain a PIA for all federal programs and services that may have an impact on privacy rights.
The following are summaries of PIAs which have been completed by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada in:
- Annexes concerning the exchange of information on a case-by-case basis with Australia and New Zealand (operating under the bilateral Memoranda Regarding the Exchange of Information with Australia and New Zealand respectively)
- Enrolment of the Biometric Information of Overseas Refugee Resettlement
- iCARE Pre-Arrival Services Modulest
- Information Collection Arrangement with the Canada Revenue Agency – Citizenship Grants
- Medical surveillance
- Randomized Selection Intake Management Process for Parents and Grandparents Program
- ATIP Online Request Pilot Project
- Canada/U.S. Information Sharing Treaty
- CIC – RCMP Memorandum of Understanding
- Global Visa Application Centre Network
- Immigration-Contribution Accountability Measurement System (iCAMS) - Tracking of Overseas Orientation Session Graduates
- Temporary Resident Biometrics Project (TRBP)
- Electronic Validation of Citizenship Information with Federal Government Institutions
- Enhancing Effectiveness and Efficiency: The Medical Surveillance Program for Tuberculosis in Ontario (MSP-TB)
- Global Case Management System (GCMS) Phase II
- Mexico Visa Application Centres (VACs)
- Settlement Outcomes Survey
- Date Modified: