Nationals from China may now qualify for the China Transit Program (CTP).
All Chinese nationals who qualify for the China Transit Program CTP must meet these conditions:
- They hold a valid passport issued by the People’s Republic of China;
- They hold a valid United States (U.S.) visa;
- They travel to Canada on an approved airline (either Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge, Air China, WestJet, Cathay Pacific, China Southern, Philippines Airlines, Jazz Air, Sky Regional Airlines Inc., and Air Georgian); and
- They transit through an approved Canadian airport (either Vancouver International Airport or Toronto’s Pearson International Airport, Terminal 1 only). A change of terminal between flights in Toronto’s Pearson International Airport does not qualify as a condition of the CTP.
Notice: Individual travellers cannot apply to the CTP; only airports and airlines can submit an application. Learn more about the application process.
Passengers travelling to the United States
In addition to the conditions above, while travelling to the United States, CTP travellers must hold a confirmed onward ticket for a direct flight to the United States leaving Canada the same travel day (no layover or overnight stay is permitted). CTP travellers must also arrive in Canada from one of the following thirteen cities in Asia (as last points of embarkation):
- Hong Kong
- Seoul (South Korea)
Notice: Travellers who are changing flights in Canada must arrive during the hours of operation of the United States (U.S.) in-transit pre-clearance facility to be able to travel without a Canadian visa under the CTP. Therefore, travellers should check their flight connections with the airline.
Missing a flight connection or arriving after hours
Travellers who miss their connecting flight or arrive after hours when the U.S. in-transit pre-clearance facility is closed are no longer eligible to transit Canada without a visa under the CTP and must proceed to a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer for examination. Based on the examination, the CBSA officer may decide to issue them a fee-exempt temporary resident permit.
Passengers arriving from the United States
In addition to the conditions above, when travelling from the United States, CTP travellers must meet the following conditions to qualify as a CTP passenger:
- arrive in Canada from the United States on a direct, non-stop flight on an approved airline and proceed to the CBSA area for clearance or remain in an isolated transit area while waiting for a connecting flight (passengers that leave the isolated transit area must go to the CBSA area for examination);
- are not under a removal or deportation order;
- had a valid U.S. visa to enter the United States and have not overstayed the period of time they were authorized to remain in the United States;
- are destined for a third country, including their country of nationality, and have the required travel documents to enter that third country as well as the required travel documents for any countries they may transit through; and
- hold a confirmed onward ticket for a flight that will leave Canada on the same travel day (no layover or overnight stay is permitted).
Before you arrive
- Date Modified: