Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
This document has expired. Refer to Guidelines for the Negative Discretion Authority.
The guidelines below are not to be interpreted to derogate in any way from the breadth of the inadmissibility provisions of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA).
A foreign national may be ineligible to obtain a visa or to enter Canada where the Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism (the Minister) determines that, because of public policy concerns, a foreign national is not eligible to become a temporary resident for a specific period, up to three years.
In accordance with the objectives of IRPA and in exceptional circumstances, the Minister may consider the following behaviours and activities of a foreign national:
Promoting Terrorism, Violence, or Criminal Activity:
- A foreign national who makes public statements or uses any means to broadcast, write, produce, publish or distribute material, including a website and public speaking, to express views which:
- promote or glorify terrorist violence;
- promote or glorify a listed entity under Regulations Establishing a List of Entities pursuant to the Criminal Code of Canada, Regulations Implementing the United Nations Resolutions on the Suppression of Terrorism or the United Nations Al-Qaida and Taliban Regulations;
- counsel, encourage or incite others to commit terrorist activity or terrorist violence;
- incite hatred that is likely to lead to violence against a specific group;
- promote, counsel, encourage or incite serious criminal activity.
Foreign Nationals from Sanctioned Countries or Corrupt Foreign Officials:
- A foreign national of a country against which Canada has imposed sanctions under the United Nations Act or the Special Economic Measures Act, where that foreign national is:
- a former or current senior official of the government of that country, or of any entity owned or controlled by, or acting on behalf of the government; or
- an associate or a relative of an official or person set out in paragraph (a).
- A foreign national who is a politically exposed foreign person listed in regulations to the Freezing Assets of Corrupt Foreign Officials Act.
Subscribe to news
MultimediaView over 80 videos
- Date Modified: