The guidelines below are not to be interpreted to derogate in any way from the breadth of the inadmissibility provisions of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA).
A foreign national may be ineligible to obtain a visa or to enter Canada where the Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism (the Minister) determines that, because of public policy concerns, a foreign national is not eligible to become a temporary resident for a specific period, up to three years.
In accordance with the objectives of IRPA and in exceptional circumstances, the Minister may consider the following behaviours and activities of a foreign national:
Promoting Terrorism, Violence, or Criminal Activity:
- A foreign national who makes public statements or uses any means to broadcast, write, produce, publish or distribute material, including a website and public speaking, to express views which:
- promote or glorify terrorist violence;
- promote or glorify a listed entity under Regulations Establishing a List of Entities pursuant to the Criminal Code of Canada, Regulations Implementing the United Nations Resolutions on the Suppression of Terrorism or the United Nations Al-Qaida and Taliban Regulations;
- counsel, encourage or incite others to commit terrorist activity or terrorist violence;
- incite hatred that is likely to lead to violence against a specific group;
- promote, counsel, encourage or incite serious criminal activity.
Foreign Nationals from Sanctioned Countries or Corrupt Foreign Officials:
- A foreign national of a country against which Canada has imposed sanctions under the United Nations Act or the Special Economic Measures Act, where that foreign national is:
- a former or current senior official of the government of that country, or of any entity owned or controlled by, or acting on behalf of the government; or
- an associate or a relative of an official or person set out in paragraph (a).
- A foreign national who is a politically exposed foreign person listed in regulations to the Freezing Assets of Corrupt Foreign Officials Act.