Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
The Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) program supports language training in English and French to adult newcomers who are permanent residents. Launched in 1992, the program helps newcomers integrate into Canada and their communities.
Did you know?
- The ability to communicate effectively in either French or English is a key factor in the success of newcomers to Canada. This has been shown in a number of studies looking at the connection between language ability and successful integration into Canadian society, such as:
- A 2005 Statistics Canada study found that employment rates of immigrants increased with their ability to speak English and that language proficiency had the biggest impact on their ability to find employment in a high-skilled job or in their intended field.
- In a 2009 Compas Research survey on strategies for integrating internationally educated professionals into the Canadian work force, 87 percent of employers cited inadequate language skills as the top barrier preventing the foreign-educated from finding suitable employment.
- A 2008 Statistics Canada study found that literacy skills play a role in the wage gap between Canadian-born workers and newcomers to Canada.
- More than 60,000 newcomers benefit from LINC every year.
- A new, more comprehensive guide called Welcome to Canada and a new Web tool called Living in Canada, both to help newcomers settle and integrate into Canada, were unveiled in April 2013.
- Welcome to Canada is available in PDF or eBook format.
- The Living in Canada Web tool creates a semi-customized settlement plan filled with tips, next steps and useful links based on user responses to the initial questionnaire. People can also find local immigrant-serving organizations with the integrated Find Services map and can bring with them their customized settlement plan for additional, personalized support.
- Date Modified: