ARCHIVED – Notice – Work permits for spouses and common-law partners living in Canada

Archived information

Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.

December 22, 2014 - Eligible spouses or common-law partners will now have the opportunity to work in Canada while they wait for their application for permanent residence to be processed.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will issue open work permits to certain spouses or common-law partners who are applying for permanent residence from inside Canada, before the approval in principle decision on their application is made.

Effective today, as part of a one-year pilot, CIC will begin issuing open work permits to eligible applicants in the current inventory.

For more information and instructions on this pilot program, please see CIC’s program delivery update.


Date Modified: