ARCHIVED – Notice – Extension of Temporary Resident Status

Archived information

Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.

N.B.: Contact information that is inaccurate or no longer in use has been removed from this page.

August 18, 2010 — If you came to Canada from Haiti after the earthquake on January 12, 2010, you may have been issued a Temporary Resident Visa or Temporary Resident Permit. If so, you were probably granted temporary resident status valid:

  • for six months if you came on a Temporary Resident Visa, or
  • for one year if you were issued a Temporary Resident Permit.

If you wish to stay in Canada, you must apply to extend your temporary resident status or obtain a new Temporary Resident Permit before the current one expires.

The cost to extend your temporary resident status is $75. If your temporary resident status expires, you are considered to be without status in Canada. If this happens, you may apply to restore your status. The cost is $200. You can apply for restoration of status within the 90 days after your status expires.

If your Temporary Resident Permit expires, you will be in Canada without status. The cost to apply for a new Permit is $200.

You can apply for an extension on this website or contact the CIC Call Centre.


Subscribe to news

Date Modified: