Transit through Canada without a visa

Citizenship and Immigration Canada and the Canada Border Services Agency have established the Transit Without Visa (TWOV) program and the China Transit Program (CTP). The programs allow certain foreign nationals to transit through Canada on their way to and from the United States (U.S.) without a Canadian transit visa, if they meet these requirements:

  • For TWOV: they are from Indonesia, Thailand, Taiwan or Philippines; OR
  • For CTP: they are from China and leave from one of the following cities (as last point of embarkation) before arriving in Canada:
    • Beijing
    • Guangzhou
    • Shanghai
    • Hong Kong
    • Manila
    • Taipei

AND they must also:

  • hold a valid U.S. visa;
  • travel on an approved airline; and
  • transit through a participating Canadian international airport.

The main goals of the programs are:

  • To facilitate legitimate travellers who are transiting Canada on their way to and from the U.S.; and
  • To support economic development by making Canadian international airports more attractive to both airlines and passengers travelling to and from the U.S.

Determine your eligibility

Find out if you are eligible to transit through Canada without a visa through the:

Participate as an airport authority or airline

Find out how you can participate as an airport authority or airline for the:

Date Modified: