Nationals from the following countries qualify for the Transit Without Visa (TWOV) program:
- Taiwan passport holders who do not qualify for the visa exemption to visit Canada may still benefit from the TWOV program
All nationals who qualify for the TWOV program must also meet these conditions:
- They hold a valid passport or travel document issued by the country of which they are a citizen;
- They hold a valid United States (U.S.) visa;
- They travel to Canada on an approved airline (either Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge, Air China, WestJet, Cathay Pacific, Philippines Airlines, China Southern, Jazz Air, Sky Regional Airlines Inc., and Air Georgian); and
- They transit through an approved Canadian airport (either Vancouver International Airport or Toronto’s Pearson International Airport, Terminal 1 only)
Notice: Individual travellers cannot apply to the TWOV program; only airports and airlines can submit an application. Learn more about the application process.
Passengers travelling to the United States
In addition to the conditions above, while travelling to the United States, nationals from approved countries must hold a confirmed onward ticket for a direct flight to the United States leaving Canada the same travel day (no layover or overnight stay is permitted).
Notice: Travellers who are changing flights in Canada must arrive during the hours of operation of the U.S. in-transit pre-clearance facility to be able to travel without a Canadian transit visa under the TWOV program. Therefore, travellers should check their flight connections with the airline.
Missing a flight connection or arriving after hours
Travellers who miss their connecting flight or arrive after hours when the U.S. in-transit pre-clearance facility is closed are no longer eligible to transit Canada without a visa under the TWOV program and must proceed to a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer for examination. Based on the examination, the CBSA officer may decide to issue them a fee-exempt temporary resident permit.
Passengers arriving from the United States
In addition to the conditions above, when travelling from the United States, nationals from approved countries must meet the following conditions to qualify as a TWOV passenger:
- They arrive in Canada from the United States on a direct, non-stop flight on an approved airline and proceed to the CBSA area for clearance or remain in an isolated transit area while waiting for a connecting flight (passengers that leave the isolated transit area must go to the CBSA area for examination);
- They are not under a removal or deportation order;
- They had a valid U.S. visa to enter the United States and have not overstayed the period of time they were authorized to remain in the United States;
- They are destined for a third country, including their country of nationality, and have the required travel documents to enter that third country as well as the required travel documents for any countries they may transit through; and
- They hold a confirmed onward ticket for a flight that will leave Canada on the same travel day (no layover or overnight stay is permitted).
Before you arrive
- Date Modified: