How do I fill out an immigration application?
If you are applying on paper:
- Answer every question, even if it does not apply to your situation. If an answer or the whole application is considered incomplete by CIC, the application may be returned or refused.
- If you do not have an answer to a question, and there are no instructions for it on the form or in the Instruction Guide, write “not applicable” or “N/A” in the space provided. That shows you have read and filled out the form fully.
- If your answer to a question will not fit in the space on a printed form, write your full answer on a separate sheet of paper. When doing so, you must note (on the paper) the exact form you are using and the letter or number of the question you are answering.
- If you would like to provide more information, such as details of your circumstances, please provide it on a separate sheet of paper.
For more tips regarding completing forms, see Completing an application form FAQs.
If you are applying online:
- Answer every question on the application form. If an answer, or the whole application, is considered incomplete by CIC, the application may be refused.
- If you do not have an answer to a question, and there are no instructions for it on the form or in the Instruction Guide, write “not applicable” or “N/A” in the space provided. If you do not have a Unique Client Identifier (UCI), please leave the space empty.
- If you want to provide more information about your situation, write your explanation on a separate sheet of paper and upload it into the “Optional documents” section of your document checklist in MyCIC, by selecting “add letter of explanation.”
Was this answer useful?
Answers others found useful
- How can I check if my application has been received?
- What happens after I send in my application?
- What is a UCI?
- What is my client ID?
- How can I come to Canada as a visitor, worker or student?
- How do I submit my application?
- What do you mean by surname?
- How can I find a doctor to provide my medical exam?
- How can I get my application processed urgently?
- How can I get help with my application?
- Date Modified: