How do I renew my permanent resident card?
Most permanent resident (PR) cards are valid for five years. You should renew your card six months before it expires.
To renew your permanent resident card, you must:
- fill out some forms,
- send us two photos that follows our specifications,
- send supporting documents, and
- pay a C$50 fee.
If you applied for a PR card before, you must still send us new photos, supporting documents and pay the C$50 fee again.
Please use this option only if:
- the normal processing time for your application has passed and
- you cannot verify the status of your application using the online application status tool or
- you wish to report important changes about your application, such as births, deaths, marriages, divorces, adoptions, changes in address, changes in job status or
- you need urgent processing or
- you would like to make a refugee claim
In Canada: You can use this case specific enquiry form.
Outside Canada: You can use the case-specific enquiry form for the visa office where you sent your application.
Answers others found useful
- Date Modified: