Help Center - Answer

Help Centre

What happens if my permanent resident card expires while I am outside Canada?

Canada’s entry requirements are changing

Permanent residents (PR) of Canada must carry and present their valid PR card or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when boarding a flight to Canada, or travelling to Canada on any other commercial carrier. If you do not carry your PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to board your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your PR card is still valid when you return from travel outside Canada, and to apply for a new PR card when your current card expires.

If your card expires while outside Canada and you plan to return to Canada by:

Private vehicle

There are other documents you can use to re-enter the country.

Bus or train

You must apply for a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad). Otherwise you may not be able to travel to Canada.

You can apply to replace your PR card when you return to Canada.

By air

Starting March 15, 2016, you will need to travel with your Canadian permanent resident card or permanent resident travel document when flying to Canada. Otherwise, you may not be able to board your flight to Canada.

If you do not currently have a permanent resident card, find out how to apply.

Most permanent resident (PR) cards are valid for five years. The expiry date is printed on the card. If your PR card will expire within six months, you should apply to renew your card.

Check our processing times to see how long you will have to wait to get your new card.

If you need to leave Canada soon, you can apply for urgent processing.

Answers others found useful

Date Modified: