Are sponsored refugee families with children eligible for a child tax benefit when they arrive?
Yes, sponsored refugee families with children are eligible for a child tax benefit when they get to Canada. Refugees should apply as soon as they arrive in Canada. It may take up to two months to process the application.
The Canada Revenue Agency can only make retroactive payments for up to 11 months from the month it gets the application. If refugees apply for the benefit after a child is one year old, they have to attach proof of birth.
More information on child and family benefits is available from the Canada Revenue Agency.
Please use this option only if:
- the normal processing time for your application has passed and
- you cannot verify the status of your application using the online application status tool or
- you wish to report important changes about your application, such as births, deaths, marriages, divorces, adoptions, changes in address, changes in job status or
- you need urgent processing or
- you would like to make a refugee claim
In Canada: You can use this case specific enquiry form.
Outside Canada: You can use the case-specific enquiry form for the visa office where you sent your application.
Answers others found useful
- Date Modified: