Are sponsored refugee families with children eligible for a child tax benefit when they arrive?
Yes, sponsored refugee families with children are eligible for a child tax benefit when they get to Canada. Refugees should apply as soon as they arrive in Canada. It may take up to two months to process the application.
The Canada Revenue Agency can only make retroactive payments for up to 11 months from the month it gets the application. If refugees apply for the benefit after a child is one year old, they have to attach proof of birth.
More information on child and family benefits is available from the Canada Revenue Agency.
Please use this Web form if:
- the normal processing time for your application has passed and
- you cannot check the status of your application online or
- you wish to report important changes about your application, such as births, deaths, marriages, divorces, adoptions, changes in address, changes in job status or
- you need urgent processing or
- you would like to make a refugee claim
Answers others found useful
- Date Modified: