Who is a federal skilled worker?
Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has been returning fees paid to the Department for Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) applications affected by the backlog elimination announced in 2012.
If you applied to the FSW program before February 27, 2008, and have not heard from CIC about whether a decision has been made based on the assessment of your application, you may be affected by this law. Please see how you can get your fee returned.
On January 1, 2015, completing an Express Entry profile will be the first step in immigrating to Canada permanently as a skilled worker under the:
Under the Express Entry system, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will invite people to apply for permanent residence based on the information they enter in an online profile. You cannot apply directly to any of these programs unless CIC sends you an Invitation to Apply (ITA).
Skilled workers who want to live in Quebec apply under a separate category. The province of Quebec selects its own skilled workers. Applicants who intend to go to Quebec are known as "Quebec-selected" skilled workers.
Please use this option only if:
- the normal processing time for your application has passed and
- you cannot verify the status of your application using the online application status tool or
- you wish to report important changes about your application, such as births, deaths, marriages, divorces, adoptions, changes in address, changes in job status or
- you need urgent processing or
- you would like to make a refugee claim
In Canada: You can use this case specific enquiry form.
Outside Canada: You can use the case-specific enquiry form for the visa office where you sent your application.
Answers others found useful
- What are the language requirements for applicants?
- Can I count part-time work toward the requirements for work experience?
- Can I count my work as a teaching assistant toward the work experience requirement?
- If I have a year of work experience in more than one eligible federal skilled worker job, can I apply more than once?
- Are there new application forms to apply under the new Federal Skilled Worker Program application caps as of May 1, 2014?
- I applied as a federal skilled worker before, but my application was returned because the cap for my occupation was full. Can I re-apply under the new cap?
- If I re-apply as a federal skilled worker under the new cap, can I re-use my Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report?
- If I applied under the previous Federal Skilled Worker Program caps, will you still process my application, or should I re-apply under the new caps?
- Will skilled immigrants be considered under both the current admissions system and Express Entry in 2015?
- Are there new application forms to apply under the new Federal Skilled Trades Program application caps as of May 1, 2014?
- If I applied under the previous Federal Skilled Trades Program caps, will you still process my application, or should I re-apply under the new caps?
- Are there new application forms to apply under the new Canadian Experience Class application caps as of May 1, 2014?
- If I applied under the previous Canadian Experience Class caps, will you still process my application, or should I re-apply under the new caps?
- Date Modified: