Help Center - Answer

Help Centre

I want to hire a foreign worker as a live-in caregiver in Canada. What steps do I take?

Starting November 30, 2014, caregivers will have access to two new pathways to permanent residence. Read more about the improvements to the Caregiver Program.

Before investing time and money, learn about the conditions of the Live-in Caregiver Program. Be sure it is the best way to meet your needs.

You must first try to hire a Canadian citizen or permanent resident in the available job. When you apply to Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) for permission to hire a foreign worker, you will be asked to show what efforts you made in this regard.

If you have been unable to hire a Canadian or permanent resident, your next step is to apply to ESDC for what is known as a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), which confirms that there is no Canadian worker available to do the job. If ESDC issues you a positive LMIA, you are then authorized to hire a foreign worker.

It also tells you which documents you must give your future employee so that he or she can apply for a work permit through a Canadian visa office outside Canada.

You are responsible for finding a foreign live-in caregiver. To do so, you can use advertisements, personal contacts or hiring agencies.

When you have found a foreign live-in caregiver you want to hire, you must first contact Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). If your future employee applies for a work permit and meets the program’s requirements, he or she will receive a work permit. The approval process could take several months. Check the latest information on CIC’s processing times. Your caregiver cannot work for you until CIC approves a work permit showing your name as the employer.

Answers others found useful

Date Modified: