What are the requirements for becoming a Canadian citizen?
What are the requirements to apply for Canadian citizenship?
You must meet different requirements to apply for citizenship depending on your situation. Are you:
- An adult (18 years of age or older) permanent resident of Canada applying for yourself or your minor (under 18) child.
- A current or former member of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) applying under the fast-track process.
- Someone who used to be a Canadian citizen, including current and former CAF members, and wants to get your Canadian citizenship back.
- A Canadian applying for citizenship for their adopted child who was born outside Canada.
There are not special requirements for spouses of Canadian citizens to apply for citizenship. Spouses of Canadians must meet the same requirements as other adults. You do not automatically become a citizen when you marry a Canadian.
Please use this option only if:
- the normal processing time for your application has passed and
- you cannot verify the status of your application using the online application status tool or
- you wish to report important changes about your application, such as births, deaths, marriages, divorces, adoptions, changes in address, changes in job status or
- you need urgent processing or
- you would like to make a refugee claim
In Canada: You can use this case specific enquiry form.
Outside Canada: You can use the case-specific enquiry form for the visa office where you sent your application.
Answers others found useful
- I already have a citizenship application in process. How will the 2015 changes to the citizenship legislation affect my application?
- Do I become a Canadian when I marry a Canadian?
- How much does it cost to apply for Canadian citizenship?
- I am a citizen of another country. Will I lose that citizenship if I become a Canadian?
- What can I do if my citizenship application is refused?
- What should I do if I missed my citizenship test?
- Can I leave Canada after I mail my citizenship application?
- Date Modified: