Do I become a Canadian citizen when I marry a Canadian?
No. Marriage to a Canadian citizen does not give you citizenship.
If you want to become a Canadian citizen, you must follow the same steps as everyone else. That is, there is not a special process for spouses of Canadian citizens to become citizens.
You must meet several requirements to apply for citizenship. Two of them are:
- You must have been physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for at least 1,460 days during the six years immediately before the date of your application.
- You must also be physically present for at least 183 days during each of four calendar years that are fully or partially within the six years immediately before the date of application.
When you are a permanent resident or if you are a permanent resident now, and you have lived in Canada long enough, you may apply for citizenship if you meet the other requirements. Use the residence calculator to learn if you have lived in Canada long enough.
There are different rules to determine if children of Canadians born outside Canada have Canadian citizenship.
Please use this option only if:
- the normal processing time for your application has passed and
- you cannot verify the status of your application using the online application status tool or
- you wish to report important changes about your application, such as births, deaths, marriages, divorces, adoptions, changes in address, changes in job status or
- you need urgent processing or
- you would like to make a refugee claim
In Canada: You can use this case specific enquiry form.
Outside Canada: You can use the case-specific enquiry form for the visa office where you sent your application.
Answers others found useful
- What are the requirements for becoming a Canadian citizen?
- I already have a citizenship application in process. How will the 2015 changes to the citizenship legislation affect my application?
- How much does it cost to apply for Canadian citizenship?
- I am a citizen of another country. Will I lose that citizenship if I become a Canadian?
- What can I do if my citizenship application is refused?
- What should I do if I missed my citizenship test?
- Can I leave Canada after I mail my citizenship application?
- Date Modified: