How can I extend my stay as a student?
If you want to extend your stay in Canada, you should apply at least 30 days before your status expires.
For the steps to apply, see Extending your Stay as a student.
Temporary residents currently in Canada with valid student or temporary foreign worker status must submit their application for a new temporary resident visa to the Case Processing Pilot Office in Ottawa (CPP-O), or visa office that serves their country of nationality.
If your study permit expires after you have submitted your application for an extension but before you receive a decision on your application, you can stay in Canada under what’s called implied status. That means the law implies you are a temporary resident. That status lasts until CIC decides on your new permit application. However, you must respect the following requirements.
If you applied for another study permit:
- You must stay in Canada and meet the conditions of your original study permit. For example, you cannot quit school to start working. You can keep studying until CIC decides on your application.
If you applied for a different kind of permit:
- You cannot do any of the activities allowed by the original study permit. For example, you may have come to Canada as a student and then applied for a work permit. If so, you must stop studying once your study permit expires. After that, you cannot work or study until you get a new permit.
If you have applied to extend your study permit and plan on traveling outside Canada while your application is in process, you can leave Canada and come back. However, one of three things will happen when you return to Canada:
Note: It is possible that you will not be able to enter Canada. The final decision is made at the border by the border services officer.
Answers others found useful
- How do I fill out an application?
- How can I check if my application has been received?
- What happens after I send in my application?
- What is a UCI?
- What is my client ID?
- How can I come to Canada as a visitor, worker or student?
- How do I submit my application?
- What do you mean by surname?
- How can I find a doctor to provide my medical exam?
- How can I get my application processed urgently?
- Date Modified: