Do I need a permit to study in Canada?
New rules for prospective international students will take effect on June 1, 2014.
The new regulations will improve services to genuine students, while protecting Canada’s international reputation for high-quality education and reducing the potential for fraud and misuse of the program.
For a summary of the changes, please see this notice.
In most cases, you must apply for a study permit before coming to Canada. Ensure that you have a letter of acceptance from the educational institution (i.e. the school, college or university) in Canada that has accepted you before you begin the application process.
Answers others found useful
- I am an international student in Canada. Can I work while studying?
- As an international student, can I return home or travel outside Canada during my studies?
- When should I apply for my study permit?
- How do I apply for a study permit?
- I want to change my school or program of study. How can I change my study permit?
- Date Modified: