Do I need a permit to study in Canada?
New rules for prospective international students are now in effect (as of June 1, 2014).
Read about these changes and how they may impact you.
In general, foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. There are some exceptions. Find out more about who needs a study permit.
In most cases, you must apply for a study permit before coming to Canada. Ensure that you have a letter of acceptance from the designated learning institution in Canada that has accepted you before you begin the application process.
Please use this Web form if:
- the normal processing time for your application has passed and
- you cannot check the status of your application online or
- you wish to report important changes about your application, such as births, deaths, marriages, divorces, adoptions, changes in address, changes in job status or
- you need urgent processing or
- you would like to make a refugee claim
Answers others found useful
- I am an international student in Canada. Can I work while studying?
- As an international student, can I return home or travel outside Canada during my studies?
- When should I apply for my study permit?
- How do I apply for a study permit?
- I want to change my school or program of study. How can I change my study permit?
- Date Modified: