As an international student, can I return home or travel outside Canada during my studies?
New rules for prospective international students are now in effect (as of June 1, 2014).
Read about these changes and how they may impact you.
If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have:
- a valid passport or travel document;
- a valid study permit if you are returning to study in Canada; and
- a valid temporary resident visa, if you are a citizen of a country or territory whose citizens require visas in order to enter Canada as visitors.
You must re-apply for a temporary resident visa (commonly known as a visitor visa) if:
- your visa has expired; or
- your visa was only valid for a single entry to Canada.
If you are a citizen of a country or territory whose citizens require visas in order to enter Canada as visitors and you travel to a country other than the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon, you will need a multiple-entry visa to come back to Canada.
Answers others found useful
- Date Modified: