Help Center - Answer

Help Centre

As an international student, can I return home or travel outside Canada during my studies?

New rules for prospective international students are now in effect (as of June 1, 2014).

Read about these changes and how they may impact you.

If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have:

You must re-apply for a temporary resident visa (commonly known as a visitor visa) if:

  • your visa has expired; or
  • your visa was only valid for a single entry to Canada.

Apply at a Canadian visa office located outside Canada, or if you are in Canada and hold a valid study permit or work permit you may apply for a new visa at Case Processing Centre in Ottawa, Ontario.

If you are a citizen of a country or territory whose citizens require visas in order to enter Canada as visitors and you travel to a country other than the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon, you will need a multiple-entry visa to come back to Canada.

Answers others found useful

Date Modified: