Help Center - Answer

Help Centre

I am outside of Canada and do not have a PR card. How can I return to Canada?

Canada’s entry requirements are changing

Permanent residents (PR) of Canada must carry and present their valid PR card or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when boarding a flight to Canada, or travelling to Canada on any other commercial carrier. If you do not carry your PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to board your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your PR card is still valid when you return from travel outside Canada, and to apply for a new PR card when your current card expires.

If you are outside Canada and plan to return to Canada by:

Private vehicle

There are other documents you can use to re-enter the country.

By bus or train

You must apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document. Otherwise you may not be able to travel to Canada.

You can apply to replace your PR card when you return to Canada.

By air

Starting March 15, 2016, if you are a permanent resident of Canada and a citizen of a visa-exempt country, you will need to travel with you Canadian permanent resident (PR) card or PR travel document when flying to Canada. Otherwise, you may not be able to board your flight to Canada. PRs who are citizens of visa-required countries will continue to need to show their PR card when boarding a flight to Canada.

If you are outside Canada and do not have a PR card or your card is expired, find out how to apply for a permanent resident travel document.

Answers others found useful

Date Modified: