How can I check the status of my application?
It depends on the type of application.
Applications for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), visitor visa, work permit or study permit
If you applied online for an eTA, you can check online with the eTA Check status tool. You will need the application number sent to you in the email confirmation. Simply sign in and view your information.
If you applied online for a visitor visa, work permit, or study permit you can check your status in MyCIC:
- Sign in to your MyCIC account.
- Under “view my submitted applications” click on “check status and messages”.
If you applied for a visitor visa, work permit, or study permit using a paper application, you cannot currently check your status online. Check the processing times to get an idea how long it takes to process your type of application.
All other applications (sponsorship, permanent residence, Canadian citizenship)
If you are the sponsor or principal applicant, you can check the Client Application Status (CAS) service. (Note: If you are a family member included on someone else’s application, you can view your profile but not the status of your application.)
To use this service, you will need to enter some personal information, such as:
- the identification number related to the application, immigration document or correspondence you got from CIC,
- your surname(s) as they appear on your application or identity documents,
- your date of birth and
- your place of birth.
Please use this Web form if:
- the normal processing time for your application has passed and
- you cannot check the status of your application online or
- you wish to report important changes about your application, such as births, deaths, marriages, divorces, adoptions, changes in address, changes in job status or
- you need urgent processing or
- you would like to make a refugee claim
- Date Modified: