How can I check the status of my application?
It depends on the type of application.
For online applications (except eTA)
If you applied online, you can check your status in your account:
- Sign in to your account.
- Under “View my submitted applications or profiles” click on “check status and messages”.
For eTA applications
If you applied for an eTA, you can check your status online.
If you can’t use the check status tool
In some cases, like if you lost your approval email, you won’t be able to use that tool. Instead, use this Web form:
- Under “Type of application” select “Electronic Travel Authorization”.
- Then select “Case Specific Enquiries”.
- Provide as many details as possible.
It can take us several days to get back to you.
For paper applications
There are 2 ways you can check the status of your paper application online.
Your status will only show once we start processing your application. There may be a delay between the date we receive your application and the date we open it. See How can I check if my application has been received?
Use our online tool
You can use the online tool, which is updated daily.
Create an online account and link your paper application
There are 2 steps to this process:
By doing this, you’ll get:
- your detailed application status in real-time
- messages about your application online instead of by mail
Not all applications can be linked. See which applications you can link to your online account.
Answers others found useful
- What happens if my PR card expires while I am outside Canada?
- I’m a new permanent resident of Canada. Do I need to apply for a PR card?
- How long will it take to process my PR card?
- I need to leave Canada and I do not have a PR card. Can I later re-enter Canada?
- How do I renew my PR card?
- Date modified: