Help Centre what do you need help with?

What should I do if my PR card has been lost, stolen or destroyed?

Canada’s entry requirements are changing

Permanent residents (PR) of Canada must carry and present their valid PR card or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when boarding a flight to Canada, or travelling to Canada on any other commercial carrier. If you do not carry your PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to board your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your PR card is still valid when you return from travel outside Canada, and to apply for a new PR card when your current card expires.

It depends on whether you are inside or outside Canada. Either way, you have to tell us what happened so we can prevent your card from being used by someone else.

If you are outside Canada, go to the nearest visa office. Apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to return to Canada. When you are back in Canada, apply to replace your PR card. Include section H (solemn declaration) and the receipt for the fee with your application.

If you are inside Canada, tell us what happened using this web form. To complete the form:

  1. Choose Tell us more then answer No and Proceed to Web form.
  2. Choose Permanent resident card and Renewal and replacement.
  3. Fill in your details.

You can then apply for a replacement PR card. Include section H (solemn declaration) and the receipt for the fee with your application.

Answers others found useful

Glossary term

Date Modified: