How do I renew my permanent resident card?
Most permanent resident (PR) cards are valid for five years. You should renew your card six months before it expires.
To renew your PR card, you must:
- fill out and submit the application form;
- include two photos that follows our specifications;
- inlcude supporting documents; and
- pay the $50 fee.
You will need to follow these steps each time you renew or replace your PR card.
Thank you for your feedback.
Contact us about your application
Please use Web form only if:
- the normal processing time for your application has passed and
- you cannot check your application status online or
- you wish to report important changes about your application, such as births, deaths, marriages, divorces, adoptions, changes in address, changes in job status or
- you need urgent processing or
- you would like to make a refugee claim
Answers others found useful
- What happens if my PR card expires while I am outside Canada?
- I’m a new permanent resident of Canada. Do I need to apply for a PR card?
- How long will it take to process my PR card?
- I need to leave Canada and I do not have a PR card. Can I later re-enter Canada?
- How do I renew my PRcard?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date Modified: