What happens if my permanent resident card expires while I am outside Canada?
Canada’s entry requirements are changing
Permanent residents (PR) of Canada must carry and present their valid PR card or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when boarding a flight to Canada, or travelling to Canada on any other commercial carrier. If you do not carry your PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to board your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.
It is your responsibility to ensure that your PR card is still valid when you return from travel outside Canada, and to apply for a new PR card when your current card expires.
If your card expires while outside Canada and you plan to return to Canada by:
There are other documents you can use to re-enter the country.
When you return to Canada, apply for a PR card if you plan to travel outside Canada again.
Some examples of private vehicles include, but are not limited to: a car, truck, motorcycle, or recreational vehicle that you own, borrow, or rent. It is a vehicle not available for public use.
Commercial vehicle: airplane, bus, train, or boat
You must apply for a permanent resident travel document. Otherwise you may not be able to travel to Canada.
You can apply to replace your permanent resident (PR) card when you return to Canada.
Most PR cards are valid for five years, but some are only valid for one year. The expiry date is printed on the card. If your PR card will expire within six months, you should apply to renew your card.
Check our processing times to see how long you will have to wait to get your new card.
If you need to leave Canada soon, you can apply for urgent processing.
Thank you for your feedback.
Contact us about your application
Please use Web form only if:
- the normal processing time for your application has passed and
- you cannot check your application status online or
- you wish to report important changes about your application, such as births, deaths, marriages, divorces, adoptions, changes in address, changes in job status or
- you need urgent processing or
- you would like to make a refugee claim
Answers others found useful
- What happens if my PR card expires while I am outside Canada?
- I’m a new permanent resident of Canada. Do I need to apply for a PR card?
- How long will it take to process my PR card?
- I need to leave Canada and I do not have a PR card. Can I later re-enter Canada?
- How do I renew my PRcard?
How to video
Form and guide
- Date Modified: