Help Centre what do you need help with?

Do privately sponsored refugees get resettlement help from the government?

In most cases, you will get financial help from your sponsor, not the government.

As a privately sponsored refugee, you will become a permanent resident when you arrive in Canada. You can get the same settlement support services as other permanent residents, such as language training.

In some cases, the federal government will help fund the initial cost of your resettlement. This depends on which program you came to Canada through, such as the Joint Assistance Sponsorship Program or the Blended Visa Office-Referred Program.

You will also have access to government settlement programs. This includes information and orientation services, help finding and keeping a job, language training, and support to build connections in communities.

Answers others found useful

Glossary term

Date Modified: