What kind of support do government-assisted refugees get?
The Resettlement Assistance Program (RAP) gives government-assisted refugees immediate and essential supports for their most basic needs.
Support services include:
- greeting at the airport,
- temporary housing,
- help with finding permanent housing,
- help with registering for mandatory federal and provincial programs,
- orientation to the community, a service that includes
- providing contacts for safety and emergency services,
- introducing refugees to the city where they have settled,
- public transportation,
- Canada's education and health care systems,
- Canadian laws and customs, and
- the local climate,
- personal finance help in areas such as
- setting up a bank account and
- using debit and credit cards,
- basic "life skills" support for high needs clients, and
- referrals to other refugee programs.
Canada provides income support under the RAP to eligible refugees who cannot pay for their own basic needs. Support can include a:
- one-time household start-up allowance, and
- monthly income support payment.
The level of monthly financial support is generally based on the prevailing provincial social assistance rates in the province where the refugees settle. Financial support can last up to one year after a refugee arrives in Canada, or until they can support themselves, whichever occurs first.
Thank you for your feedback.
Contact us about your application
Please use Web form only if:
- the normal processing time for your application has passed and
- you cannot check your application status online or
- you wish to report important changes about your application, such as births, deaths, marriages, divorces, adoptions, changes in address, changes in job status or
- you need urgent processing or
- you would like to make a refugee claim
Answers others found useful
- Who is eligible for sponsorship under the Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program?
- Who can sponsor a refugee?
- How long does it take before the refugee can come to Canada?
- Who decides whether a refugee can be sponsored and resettled?
- What kind of support do government-assisted refugees get?
- Date Modified: