Help Centre what do you need help with?

I will enter Canada by land or sea. Do I need an eTA?

No. You will not need an eTA when you enter Canada by land or sea. You will only need an eTA when you fly to Canada.

If you are from a visa-required country, you will need to have a valid visa no matter how you arrive. Find out how to apply for a visa.

New entry requirement now in effect

Visa-exempt foreign nationals need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada by air. Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA.

Answers others found useful


  • Come to Canada

How to videos

Glossary term

Date Modified: