What do I do if my application for an eTA is not approved right away?
While most eTAs are issued in minutes, some can take several days to process. In such cases, more information is needed before the application is approved. IRCC will contact you via email and advise you of the next steps.
Check the junk/spam mail folder of the email address you provided on your eTA application form. Some spam filters may block automated emails from IRCC.
The email from IRCC may include a request for:
- additional information or documents, or
- an in-person interview at the nearest Canadian visa office.
If you have not received an email confirmation with an application number within 72 hours of applying, you will need to fill out this Web form. To do so, you will need to:
- provide some basic personal details, and
- Under “Type of application” select “Electronic Travel Authorization”, then “Case Specific Enquiries”.
- Provide as many details as possible about the problem you encountered. It can take us several days to answer your inquiry.
If you apply for an eTA at an airport, and your eTA is not approved in time for you to check-in for your flight, you will need to reschedule your flight.
Answers others found useful
- Do I need a visa to visit Canada?
- Do I need a Canadian visa if I have a United States visa?
- How do I apply for an eTA for travel to Canada?
- I am visiting the U.S. I want to come to Canada. Do I need an eTA?
- Do I need a visa if I am travelling through Canada without stopping or visiting?
- How do I help a family member or friend apply to visit Canada?
- I am travelling with my minor child without my spouse. What documents must I present?
How to videos
- Date Modified: