When will citizens from Brazil, Bulgaria and Romania be able to apply for an eTA?
For Romanian and Bulgarian citizens
Starting May 1, 2017, Romanian and Bulgarian citizens would be able to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) if they:
- held a Canadian visa in the past 10 years, or
- have a valid United States (U.S.) nonimmigrant visa
In addition, starting December 1, 2017, the Government of Canada intends for all citizens from Romania and Bulgaria to be able to apply for an eTA.
Until then, citizens from Bulgaria and Romania still need a visitor visa to travel to Canada. Find out how to apply for a visa.
Find out more information about Romania and Bulgaria’s visa lift.
For Brazilian citizens
Starting May 1, 2017, citizens from Brazil would be able to apply for an eTA if they:
- held a Canadian visa in the past 10 years; or
- have a valid U.S. nonimmigrant visa
If citizens of Brazil would not meet the eligibility criteria for an eTA they would need a visitor visa to travel to Canada. Find out how to apply for a visa.
New entry requirement now in effect
Visa-exempt foreign nationals need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA.
Answers others found useful
- Do I need a visa to visit Canada?
- Do I need a Canadian visa if I have a United States visa?
- How do I apply for an eTA for travel to Canada?
- I am visiting the U.S. I want to come to Canada. Do I need an eTA?
- Do I need a visa if I am travelling through Canada without stopping or visiting?
- How do I help a family member or friend apply to visit Canada?
- I am travelling with my minor child without my spouse. What documents must I present?
How to videos
- Date Modified: