Help Centre what do you need help with?

Can I apply for an eTA using a document other than a passport?

No. You can only apply for an eTA using a valid passport issued to you by your country of citizenship or nationality.

Exception: If you are a permanent resident of the U.S. (Green Card holder) and cannot get a passport from your home country because it does not issue passports to permanent residents of other countries, you can apply with:

Find out if your document is a passport

Look at the front cover of the document. The word “passport” should appear on the cover.

Answers others found useful


  • Come to Canada

How to videos

Glossary term

Date Modified: