Help Centre what do you need help with?

I am sponsoring my spouse or partner who is in Canada. Can they work while their application is being processed?

Yes, but only if they have a work permit.

If you’re sponsoring your spouse, they can apply for an open work permit.

It will take us about 4-5 months to process the open work permit application.

Remember that while your spouse or partner’s permanent residence application is being processed, they must:

For the steps to apply, see How to apply for a work permit.

Follow the instructions that match your situation.

If the sponsorship application hasn’t been submitted yet:

If the permanent residence application has not been approved in principle:

If the permanent residence application has been approved in principle:

Help tool

Create an account or sign in

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date modified: