I am a Canadian citizen and a citizen of a visa-exempt country. Can I still fly to Canada with my foreign passport?
Yes, you can until September 29, 2016.
However, we encourage you to get a valid Canadian passport as soon as possible.
Starting September 30, 2016, all air travellers will need to have appropriate documents to travel to Canada before they can board their flight. Canadians, including dual citizens, will need to show proof they are Canadian citizens and use the right travel documents.
Learn more about how to renew or apply for a Canadian passport.
Please note: Canadian citizens (including dual citizens) cannot apply for an eTA. See Travel documents for dual Canadian citizens flying to Canada.
Thank you for your feedback.
Contact us about your application
Please use Web form only if:
- the normal processing time for your application has passed and
- you cannot check your application status online or
- you wish to report important changes about your application, such as births, deaths, marriages, divorces, adoptions, changes in address, changes in job status or
- you need urgent processing or
- you would like to make a refugee claim
How to videos
- Date Modified: