Help Centre what do you need help with?

I am a Canadian citizen and a citizen of a visa-exempt country. Can I still fly to Canada with my foreign passport?

Yes, you can until September 29, 2016.

However, we encourage you to get a valid Canadian passport as soon as possible.

Starting September 30, 2016, all air travellers will need to have appropriate documents to travel to Canada before they can board their flight. Canadians, including dual citizens, will need to show proof they are Canadian citizens and use the right travel documents.

Learn more about how to renew or apply for a Canadian passport.

Please note: Canadian citizens (including dual citizens) cannot apply for an eTA. See Travel documents for dual Canadian citizens flying to Canada.


  • Come to Canada

How to videos

Glossary term

Date Modified: