How do I change employers?
To change employers, you must apply to change the conditions of your work permit.
Before you apply, your future employer must complete certain steps, depending on whether or not you need a Labour Market Impact Assessment.
If you need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
Your employer must give you:
- a new job offer letter,
- a new LMIA number, and
- a new contract signed by you and your future employer.
Note: If you work in Quebec, you will also need a new Certificat d’acceptation du Québec.
If you are LMIA-exempt
Your employer must give you the offer of employment number they received when they submitted an offer of employment through the Employer Portal.
How to apply to change the conditions of your work permit
Apply online or mail your application to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, Alberta.
Note: Live-in caregivers and International Experience Canada participants must follow different steps to change employers.
Answers others found useful
- What is an open work permit?
- Who can apply for an open work permit?
- Are there any conditions on my work permit?
- What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
- I am a Canadian citizen and my spouse is not. Can my spouse work in Canada?
- How can I find out about jobs in Canada?
- How long will it take to process my work permit application?
- Can I apply to extend a work permit from inside Canada?
Form and guide
- Date Modified: