How do I report a scam or a fraud?
Call the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) Border Watch Toll-free Line to report:
- suspicious border activity,
- a marriage of convenience,
- a person who has given false information on any immigration application, or
- a person wanted on an immigration warrant.
What you tell the tip line is confidential. You do not have to provide your name.
Please send an email to report a person who:
- pretended to live in Canada to become a citizen, or
- hid information about their case.
Provide as much information as possible, such as:
- if the person is a Canadian citizen or has a citizenship application in process,
- the person’s name,
- their date of birth,
- their address,
- their telephone number,
- their employment information,
- their work hours,
- their method of transportation,
- a physical description, and
- details regarding the situation (e.g. criminal activities, misrepresentation, fraud)
The information you give will remain confidential. You do not have to provide your name.
An investigation officer will initiate the necessary verifications.
Telephone, internet, mail or other type of scam
If you have been the target of a telephone, internet, mail or other type of scam and unwittingly provided personal or financial information, contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre:
If you are outside Canada, contact your local police detachment.
Find out more about protecting yourself from fraud.
Answers others found useful
- I received threats from someone who says they are from the immigration department. Is it a scam?
- Will you ask me for personal information over the phone?
- If I have not paid my fees, will you have me arrested or deported?
- Do you accept prepaid credit cards, Western Union, or Money Gram to pay my fees?
- What happens if I owe IRCC money? Will you call to ask for unpaid fees?
- How can I tell if an immigration website is a scam?
- I received an email from an immigration officer. Is it a scam?
- I received a call from an immigration officer. Was it a scam?
Form and guide
How to video
- Date Modified: