Help Centre what do you need help with?

How do I change the sex on my application or document?

This depends on why the sex as listed is incorrect:

We made a mistake recording your sex.

Visitor visa, work or study permit, Record of Landing, confirmation of Permanent Residence

Complete a Request to Amend Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Valid Temporary Resident Documents to correct the mistake.

Permanent Resident Card

Ask to have your permanent resident (PR) card reissued.

Canadian citizenship certificate

Ask to have it replaced if it has been 90 days or less since you got your certificate. Find out how to request a replacement.

Canadian passports

Contact the Passport Program.

I identify as a different gender than the one on my document.

Currently, we can only create documents with male or female sex options. We are putting processes in place to include X (unspecified). Until then, you can apply for a supporting document that says your sex should be X. Find out more.

Work permit, study permit, visa or eTA

First, update the sex on your foreign passport. After the sex on your foreign passport has been updated, apply for a new visa, permit or eTA.

Find out how to submit your application for a new:

Permanent Resident Card

You can apply for a new PR card.

You will need to provide documents to support your application.

If you want to change the sex on your PR Card without changing the sex on your foreign passport, submit the form: Request for new Permanent Resident Card indicating sex designation other than sex shown on foreign travel document

Application for citizenship

Provide documents to support your application if:

  • you are in the process of applying for citizenship and
  • you have not yet changed your document (for example, your PR card)

See your instruction guide for more information.

Canadian citizenship certificate

You can apply for a new citizenship certificate and provide documentary evidence.

Canadian passports or travel documents

You can apply for a new passport at a Passport Office location or by mail.

You can apply for a new travel document at the Passport Office in Gatineau, Quebec or by mail.

You will need to provide documents to support your application.

Answers others found useful

How to video

Form and guide

Glossary term

Date Modified: